Leinster SHC: Determined Dublin stun Galway


Leinster SHC Round 5


By Paul Keane at Parnell Park, Dublin

Parnell Park proved to be Dublin's fortress yet again as Mattie Kenny's men staged a thrilling late scoring siege to secure their biggest Championship win in several seasons.

Trailing with 66 minutes on the clock, the 2013 Leinster champions looked in real danger of slipping to their second defeat in four games.

But from there they outscored the 2017 All-Ireland winners by five points with captain Chris Crummey blasting the crucial 68th minute goal to extend their summer.

Dublin will now advance to an All-Ireland preliminary round quarter-final tie against the Joe McDonagh Cup winners as the third placed team in Leinster.

Galway's summer, however, is over after a draw between Kilkenny and Wexford elsewhere which ultimately nudged the 2018 Leinster winners into fourth position in the table.

Their supporters at a packed out Parnell Park looked shell-shocked when they heard the news having put themselves in a strong position to win just minutes earlier.

The venue has been kind to Dublin all year with Kenny's side undefeated so far in the league and Championship, beating Waterford there during the league and drawing with Wexford more recently.

It was thrill-a-minute stuff at the north-Dublin ground throughout with the sides level a whopping 17 times and eight times in the first-half alone.

The hits were huge in an ultra intense affair and two key players picked up early injuries that forced them off.

Dublin full-back Eoghan O'Donnell made way after just 15 minutes and Conor Whelan trudged off for Galway 11 minutes later.

That left Galway without arguably their two best forwards in Whelan and long-term injury victim Joe Canning, though Canning would eventually come on and strike two points.

Galway's top scorer Cathal Mannion picked up the scoring slack for the westerners and drilled six first-half points, five of those coming from frees.

Whelan grabbed one before making way too while Jason Flynn and Brian Concannon were also on the mark.

But it was virtually score for score as Dublin asked plenty of questions at the other end with Cian Boland on form initially.

O'Rorke and Danny Sutcliffe also pointed and the scores were tied at 0-8 to 0-8 when Dublin grabbed their opening goal in the 29th minute.

It was a trademark poacher's strike from Dillon who sped clear and slotted home with an improvised finish.

But Galway responded with four points in a row from Mannion, Colm Callanan and David Burke to lead narrowly at half-time, 0-12 to 1-08.

It remained just as tight for the majority of the second-half with the game continuing in that score-for-score pattern.

Sean Moran struck Dublin's second goal from a penalty just after the restart but Galway were boosted by Canning's introduction after long-term injury and he scored from his first play, adding another.

Galway were in the driving seat approaching the finish line but just couldn't finish it off and were powerless to prevent that brilliant late Dublin charge.

Dublin scorers: Oisin O'Rorke 0-9 0-5f, 0-01 65, Eamon Dillon 1-1, Sean Moran 1-0 1-0 pen, Chris Crummey 1-0, Conal Keaney 0-3, Danny Sutcliffe 0-2, Cian Boland 0-2, Liam Rushe 0-1, Alan Nolan 0-1.

Galway scorers: Cathal Mannion 0-9 0-7f, David Burke 0-3, Jason Flynn 0-3, Joe Canning 0-2, Colm Callanan 0-1 0-1f, Johnny Coen 0-1, David Glennon 0-1, Conor Whelan 0-1, Brian Concannon 0-1, Joseph Cooney 0-1, Padraic Mannion 0-1.

DUBLIN: Alan Nolan; Paddy Smyth, Eoghan O'Donnell, Shane Barrett; Sean Moran, Cian Hendricken, Chris Crummey; Sean Treacy, Tom Connolly; Conal Keaney, Cian Boland, Danny Sutcliffe; Liam Rushe, Oisin O'Rorke, Eamon Dillon. Subs: James Madden for O'Donnell 15, Fergal Whitely for Boland 47, Daire Grey for Hendricken 51, Darragh O'Connell for Treacy 57, Ronan Hayes for Rushe 65.

GALWAY: Colm Callanan; Darren Morrissey, Daithi Burke, Aidan Harte; Padraic Mannion, Joseph Cooney, Gearoid McInerney; Johnny Coen, David Burke; Jonathan Glynn, Cathal Mannion, Adrian Tuohey; Brian Concannon, Jason Flynn, Conor Whelan. Subs: David Glennon for Whelan 26, Joe Canning for Tuohey 47, Niall Burke for Concannon 54, Thomas Monaghan for Niall Burke 61, Sean Linnane for Coen 70.

Referee: Cathal McAllister Cork.

Also in GAA

GAA Healthy Club Project- Applications Now Open!

The Healthy Club Project, delivered in partnership with Healthy Ireland and Irish Life, is the GAAs flagship health and wellbeing initiative. It seeks to transform clubs into hubs for health

Cork SHC Final: Imokilly prove too strong for Glen Rovers

Cork SHC Final IMOKILLY 2-17 GLEN ROVERS 1-16By Denis Hurley at Pairc Ui Rinn Imokilly made it three Cork SHC titles in succession as Glen Rovers were seen off in

Dublin SHC Final: Cuala show character

Dublin SHC Final CUALA 1-18 ST BRIGID'S 1-14By Paul Keane at Parnell Park Powerhouse Dublin outfit Cuala are back on the Leinster club SHC title trail after digging deep at

Louth SFC Final: Newtown Blues complete three in a row

Louth SFC Final NEWTOWN BLUES 2-9 NAOMH MAIRTIN 1-9By Dan Bannon at the Gaelic Grounds, Drogheda A whirlwind start from the Newtown Blues saw them claim three Louth senior titles

Offaly SHC Final: Rynagh's edge out Birr

Offaly SHC Final ST RYNAGHS 0-16 BIRR 1-12By Kevin Egan at Bord na Mna OConnor Park Three years after he scored a crucial goal in a St. Rynaghs county final

Derry SFC Final: Magherafelt triumph

Derry SFC Final O'DONAVAN ROSSA, MAGHERAFELT 0-12 WATTY GRAHAMS, GLEN 0-11By Paul McIntyre at Celtic Park Magherafelt captured their first Derry senior football championship title since 1978 following a one

Donegal SFC Final: Tight Donegal decider finishes level

Donegal SFC Final Gaoth Dobhair 0-8 Naomh Conaill 0-8By Chris McNulty in Ballybofey Gaoth Dobhair and Naomh Conaill have to do it all again after the Donegal SFC final ended

Monaghan SFC Final: McManus inspires Clontibret

Monaghan SFC Final CLONTIBRET 1-14 SCOTSTOWN 0-11By Colm Shalvey at St Tiernachs Park Clontibret became Monaghan SFC winners for the first time since 2014 when they stunned five-in-a-row chasers Scotstown